Speaker to address identity, Black Lives Matter, presidential election

Midway staff

Rodney Glasgow will speak at the all-school assembly Feb. 17 about the election, Capitol insurrection and how students can celebrate their identities during the pandemic.

Jack Hurst, Reporter

Dr. Glasgow is a celebrated speaker and activist who specializes in the fields of diversity, equity and inclusion. He was invited to speak at Lab by learning coordinator Heavenly Hicks

Ms. Hicks created the assembly as a way to help students celebrate their own identity during events such as the pandemic, the Black Lives Matter movement and the election with the subsequent Capitol insurrection.

Ms. Hicks said that she wants students to “learn how to build bridges while being social advocates for progress and inclusion; that students and faculty learn how to have difficult conversations without shaming or shying away; and that everyone listening learns how to speak their truth while being vulnerable to hear opposing truths.”

As a learning coordinator, she heard students’ feelings during the pandemic and wanted to help both students and teachers create a dialogue around their mental health.

“How do I, as an adult, lend knowledge to students but not limit the conversation,” Ms. Hicks said.

She created this assembly as one part of the answer to her question.