University sets stricter mask policy in response to coronavirus variants

Malcolm Taylor

University policy now requires individuals to wear a mask that fully covers the nose and mouth and has ear loops to hold it in place.

Lucia Kouri, City Life Editor

The University of Chicago is adapting its requirements for mask-wearing on campus, according to an email sent Feb. 10 to the university community. 

In response to variants of COVID-19 detected in the United States, the university now requires everyone on campus to wear a mask that fully covers the nose and mouth and has ear loops to hold it in place. Gaiters, bandanas, scarves or any masks with the potential for gaps are no longer sufficient or acceptable forms of coverage under university policy. 

Corresponding with a recent CDC report, it is advised that individuals wear multiple-layer cloth masks or medical masks when on campus and that visitors exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms refrain from contact and seek medical testing as soon as symptoms appear. 

If an individual in the university community tests positive, the person is required to report the diagnosis immediately to [email protected] for quarantine procedures and contact tracing to begin.