Hybrid ArtsFest workshop registration opens

Senior Clara Grosse designed this year’s ArtsFest T-shirts, which are available to order through March 3.

Caroline Hohner, Arts Co-Editor

Though this year students won’t all be shuffling from workshop to workshop on campus and the amount of snacking will be severely diminished, ArtsFest organizers hope the March 17 event will remain a highlight of the winter months. Registration begins Feb. 24 at 9 p.m. for workshops, which will be held mostly over Zoom with some in-person options.
This year’s Artsfest T-shirt, designed by senior Clara Grosse, can be ordered through March 3.
Students can sign up for workshops through the ArtsFest website using their LabNet IDs. According to senior Andrada Nicolae, ArtsFest committee president, the sign-up process itself has been altered to fit a hybrid format. Students may choose to filter workshops by format or whether they require material pick-up.
While not all workshops require materials, students who sign up for those that do can collect that at school or by way of curbside pick-up March 10. This year, Andrada said, the line-up of workshops was created with accessibility in mind.
“If you’re not in Chicago, or you can’t make the commute down to Hyde Park, there are a lot of super cool workshops that don’t require any materials,” Andrada said. “But if you really want a hands on workshop, there are so many super-engaging and super-unique and super-thought out hands-on workshops.”
The program of workshops, released Feb. 22, features a host of creative workshops led by students, faculty, parents, alumni and guest artists, including two which will be held in-person: “Pie Make and Bake” led by history teacher Holly Johnston and “Colorful Chemistry” led by chemistry teacher Elizabeth Kelley.

ArtsFest will look different, but it’s still going to be super fun.

— Andrada Nicolae

“I think that I expect that those will be the first ones to be filled up, because they’re both very cool workshops,” Andrada said.
The in-person workshops will be held at limited capacity and over a double period in the afternoon. Participants will be required to follow pandemic safety regulations.
“ArtsFest will look different, but it’s still going to be super fun,” Andrada said. “It’s still going to be hands-on and at the very least, it’ll be a break from school.”

This article was revised Feb. 22 to reflect the correct number of in-person workshops.