Asian Students’ Association celebrates Year of the Ox with Kahoot, origami

Along+with+playing+Kahoot%2C+attendees+of+the+Asian+Students+Association+Lunar+New+Year+celebration+of+the+Year+of+the+Ox+on+Feb.+19+make+origami+lanterns.+

Louis Auxenfans

Along with playing Kahoot, attendees of the Asian Students’ Association Lunar New Year celebration of the Year of the Ox on Feb. 19 make origami lanterns.

Louis Auxenfans, Reporter

With origami lanterns and a Kahoot, the Asian Students’ Association celebrated the Lunar New Year on Feb. 19 over Zoom with toned-down festivities. 

The club could not welcome the Year of the Ox Feb. 12, the first day of the Lunar New Year, due to February break, so club members decided to celebrate the occasion on following Friday.

The pandemic has made it difficult for ASA and the Asian community at Lab to provide their usual large food banquet and interactive celebrations, so fewer students attended the event compared to the potluck organized by families last year in Café Lab.

We are a little disappointed we couldn’t do our full-scale Lunar New Year celebration like we could last time, where we made posters and did all these decorations and had really nice music playing in the background.

— Zara Baig

“We are a little disappointed we couldn’t do our full-scale Lunar New Year celebration like we could last time, where we made posters and did all these decorations and had really nice music playing in the background,” Zara Baig, a board member of ASA, said. 

Last year, the club hosted a dumpling-eating competition and a chopsticks competition, but the virtual setting has meant that the club had to find new ways to be interactive, according to Zara.

This year, attendees played a Kahoot about the symbolism and traditions of the Lunar New Year, while creating and decorating origami lanterns. 

“[It was] mostly just to have a good time and to celebrate something that is important to a lot of Asian people,” Susan Huang, another board member of ASA, said.