Lab to parents: We commit to fall 2021 return

Malcolm Taylor

Days when students are allowed to return to campus will increase, according to interim director David Magill.

Amanda Cassel, Editor-in-Chief

The Laboratory Schools administration is committed to bringing all students back to full-time, in-person learning this fall.

Interim Director David Magill announced Lab’s “clear and unambiguous” commitment in an email to Lab parents and families sent March 1. This followed multiple questions about fall plans during an open forum for the community attended by more than 700 people on Feb. 28.

Due to the volume of questions submitted, the administration will address specific questions and common themes in an FAQ that will be posted to Lab’s parent page. According to the email, more than 17 pages of questions were received in advance and over 200 questions were submitted during the forum itself.

The full email from Mr. Magill is included below.

Dear Parents and Families,

Thank you to those who attended the Laboratory School Forum on Sunday afternoon.

We received more than 17 pages of questions prior to yesterday’s session and more than 200 questions during the actual event. Since we were not able to get to all of the questions, we will address specific questions as well as common themes by posting additional information in the coming days on the Lab’s parent FAQs page (https://www.ucls.uchicago.edu/ucls-parents). 

I would like to clarify an outstanding question that was raised during yesterday’s meeting regarding our fall plans. It is our clear and unambiguous commitment to bring all students back for full-time, in-person education in the fall. We have begun preparing for a variety of scenarios to fulfill this commitment. We are also working to increase the number of in-person opportunities for the remainder of this academic year, while maintaining the health and safety of the entire Lab community.

I look forward to your continued input and feedback. As always, thank you for your continued support, partnership, and patience as we navigate the many challenges presented by this pandemic.

Respectfully,

David W. Magill

Interim Director