Library allows 24 students in main area during hybrid learning

Students+work+March+9+in+the+library%2C+which+may+now+hold+26+individuals+in+the+combined+main+area+and+corridor+spaces.+

Amanda

Students work March 9 in the library, which may now hold 26 individuals in the combined main area and corridor spaces.

Jack Hurst, Reporter

The Pritzker Traubert Family Library has announced changes to accommodate students during hybrid learning.

The library now can hold 24 students in the main area as well as two more in the corridor in the back.

Librarian Susan Augustine said they have set two chairs in the corridor to accommodate as many students as possible.

The library classrooms will not be available for students to use as teachers will use them to prepare for or to teach classes.

Challenges of opening the library include reorganizing the room to allow for social distancing and cleaning. Ms. Augustine  said that the library staff are attempting to thin out the groups and ensure students are not too close to each other.

Ms. Augustine said, “There is no storage space for things, so we have just been stacking chairs in various areas around the library.”

In tackling the challenge of cleaning the space, Ms. Augustine said the librarians will rely on students to help them keep the library clean, specifically asking students to wipe down their study space after they are finished.

She said the library will have a book quarantine to make sure books that have been checked out or ones put on the reshelving cart are safe to use.

Students who are not taking the hybrid option will still be able to use the remote book check out service that the library has been offering for several months.