Students should reduce screentime

Teachers+can+help+by+hosting+more+asynchronous+classes+and+giving+more+screen-free+assignments%2C+so+that+way+we+aren%E2%80%99t+on+our+computers+as+much+writes+reporter+Ashley+Husain.+

Midway staff

Teachers can help by hosting more asynchronous classes and giving more screen-free assignments, so that way we aren’t on our computers as much writes reporter Ashley Husain.

Ashley Husain, Reporter

Computer screens burn our eyes as we struggle to complete our homework assignments. After we finally turn them in, we go straight to our phones and streaming services to escape the stress of our day.  

The amount of screen time during the pandemic has become a problem due to virtual classes, completing online homework, and relaxing by socializing and using entertainment platforms.

During the pandemic, completing homework on a computer and attending school online has increased the time students spend on a screen. While in classes, students are either engaging in conversation, working  collaboratively with classmates or listening to lectures on Zoom. They are then assigned homework via an online platform, like Schoology or VHL Central, and are expected to apply skills learned in class that day to  prepare for the next day. Students’ daily lives consist of attending hour-long Zoom classes, one after the other before sitting down for at least four more to do homework, followed by another few spent relaxing by watching a TV show or texting a friend. The time students spend on screens is extremely high. Despite the fact that students need to be  well-educated and socialize with friends during the pandemic, we need to take into consideration how much of their time spent is spent on computers and phones. 

It’s important to be self-aware of our own and others’ circumstances when it comes to screen time. It’s our job as students to be aware of how many hours we spend on our screens, but these actions are not completely our fault. The amount of time we spend on our screen is necessary to complete work for classes as well as attend them. 

Teachers can help by hosting more asynchronous classes and giving more screen-free assignments, so that way we aren’t on our computers as much. Students can also find ways to avoid screens, such as pursuing a hobby or activity that doesn’t require technology, like spending time and socializing with family.