Familial connections create love for country music

Iván Beck, Assistant Editor

Each year, over 150,000 people gather in Indio, California, to listen to several performers at the world’s largest country fest. But Chicago country music fans don’t have to travel far to experience a big festival. The LakeShake Festival welcomes about 50,000 fans for three days each June at Northerly Island Pavilion.

In 2016, country music had 10 percent of all U.S. album sales, and a study in 2016 showed that the country music fanbase is becoming younger and more racially diverse. But that large and growing fanbase is not reflected at Lab.

The music, for the most part, has a differing style and audience than people encounter at U-High. However, for some people who find country music entertaining, the tunes connect them to their roots and to their families.

One student who enjoys country music is junior Sammy Rodman.

The primary reason she listens to country is because it allows her to connect with her dad, since they listen to it together.

She explained that the two of them often listen to country songs when they have to travel somewhere in the car.

Zach Leslie, a sophomore who also enjoys country music, agrees.

He said, “I think it has helped me connect with my family and friends when we go to Arizona for spring break. On that trip we listen to a lot of country music, and it’s really fun to sing along with my friends.”

Although these students have found connections through the music, both agreed this connection was often not found at Lab.

“I feel like country music is not the most popular genre at Lab,” Zach said, “so there isn’t a lot of time where country is being played publicly.”

The fan base among U-High students may grow soon.

Sammy said she often urges her friends to listen to country music, explaining that by overcoming the idea that the music is “redneck” or “hillbilly” people would find country music to be relatable and enjoyable.

The themes of living in the South, working hard and finding love combined with the sound of a guitar, banjo, or accordian are not only relatable for Southerners, as several U-High students have discovered.

The Lake Shake Festival, June 22-24 on the shore of Lake Michigan, provides an upcoming opportunity to explore country music.

The event will feature prominent artist such as Blake Shelton, Dylan Scott, Tracy Lawrence, and others, in what the Chicago Tribune called “Chicago’s biggest weekend for country music.”