28 students join U-High; financial support remains stable

Midway staff

The ability to meet aid demands of families is increasing, according to Irene Reed, executive director of admissions and financial aid.

Peter Pu, Editor-In-Chief

U-High welcomed 20 ninth graders, four sophomores, three juniors and one senior for the 2021-22 school year.

While enrollment remains in flux, 625 students are enrolled in U-High and 2,201 students in all of the Laboratory Schools.

The return to routine in-person learning accompanies the return of almost all students who temporarily withdrew in the 2021-22 school year, according Brent LaRowe, director of registrar Services and Information Management. The withdrawal option has made essentially no impact on this year’s enrollment.

“Our number of withdrawals and new students is remarkably similar to years past. Our families’ commitment to Lab is both humbling and inspiring,” Mr. LaRowe wrote in an email to the Midway.

According to Mr. LaRowe, enrollment at other Chicago private schools like Latin School of Chicago, St. Ignatius College Prep and Francis W. Parker School has also remained stable.

High school tuition for 2021-22 increased 3.9% to $38,376, following the rolled-back 2.73% markup last school year. Lab issued about $4 million of financial aid this year, and the ability to meet aid demands of families is increasing, according to Irene Reed, executive director of admissions and financial aid.

Emergency financial aid requests increased last year with some parents’ employers announcing layoffs, but Ms. Reed said year-long financial aid requests have remained largely stable.

Non-tuition costs are a challenge for families. These costs vary based on student commitment, such as extracurricular activities and extended day.

“We can’t act like the tuition is the only cost of attending Lab,” Ms. Reed said. “I think that’s a good takeaway. Families are asked to do much more than that.”

It remains to be seen whether families will submit a similar number of emergency aid requests this year, according to Ms. Reed.