Students must welcome various perspectives in class discussions

Midway staff

Students should listen to all their peers’ opinions, especially ones that contrast with their own, before formulating judgment, writes assistant editor Audrey Park.

Audrey Park, Assistant Editor

In a recent Harkness discussion, a student proposed the idea that “cancel culture” can be productive, an idea which was instantly rejected by the student’s peers and the teacher. The teacher repudiated the student’s suggestion, and the class continued without further discussion. 

U-High classrooms should welcome true free expression where all perspectives can be heard and discussed before being judged. 

Students should listen to all their peers’ opinions, especially ones that contrast with their own, before formulating judgment. In a course that encourages the participation of all beliefs, the interference of the teacher, the authority figure in the classroom, is hypocritical. The dominant opinion is granted with a feeling of validation, while the outlier is confronted with judgement. In turn, such behavior is perpetuated, thus creating an environment of a singular way of thinking — or what is called today an echo chamber.  

There is power in active debate that could conclude in new insight for both positions. Meaningful and constructive discussion is necessary for a productive academic environment. When a topic is introduced, regardless of how controversial it is, students should not completely dismiss the idea but should be open and able to hear the opposing side.