New top-level administrators will focus on operations, diversity

Michael Rubin, Managing Editor

After months of interviews and assessing applications, two people were hired for senior leadership roles at the Lab Schools, according to a statement from Lab Schools Director Charlie Abelmann.

Carla Ellis, who was appointed assistant director, has worked formerly in senior roles within the Peace Corps, as well as at the Lighthouse Academies Charter Schools as their regional director of schools.

Additionally, Dr. Ellis co-ran a university-public school partnership at the DePaul Center for Urban Education and as the inaugural high school principal for the DuSable Leadership Academy, according to Dr. Abelmann’s statement. She earned an Ed.D. in curriculum studies from DePaul University, according to her LinkedIn profile.

As assistant director, Dr. Ellis will assist the director in overseeing the schools and focus on school operations in terms of school-wide programming, professional development, university and community relations and all-school curriculum coordination.

Priyanka Rupani, a 2006 U-High alumna, was appointed Lab’s new director of diversity, equity and inclusion.

Ms. Rupani worked previously in a similar role at the Friends School of Baltimore, and she worked in consulting for the Glasgow Group, an organization that provides professional development consulting and coaching for schools in various cultural and strategic initiatives.

Ms. Rupani earned a M.S. in education from the University of Pennsylvania.

Ms. Rupani will focus on collaboration with administrators throughout the Lab Schools, establish consistent and comprehensive diversity programming through partnerships with different members of the Lab community.

Both Ms. Ellis and Ms. Rupani will begin their new roles July 1.