Students receive awards in arts, writing competition

Colleen Cardoza

Senior Colleen Cardoza received an honorable mention for her painting in the Midwestern Regional Alliance for Young Artists and Writers Competition.

Sophie Baker, Reporter

Twelve students have received awards in the Midwestern Regional Alliance for Young Artists and Writers Competition. All gold key winners move on the national level of competition. 

Students recognized for art are Colleen Cardoza, honorable mention in drawing and illustration, and honorable mention in painting; Inga Domenick, silver key in fashion; Justin Giles, honorable mention in drawing and illustration; Jenna Kilkus, gold key and two silver keys in photography; Anvi Padhi, gold key and honorable mention in photography; Alina Susani gold key and silver key in digital art, and silver key and two honorable mentions in photography; and Sasha Watson, honorable mention in photography. 

Students recognized for writing are Abe Callard, silver key in short stories; Corona Chen, silver key in personal essay and memoirs, and honorable mention in science fiction and fantasy; Ida Karateke, gold key, American voices nominee in personal essay and memoir; Yannik Leuz, honorable mention in dramatic scripts; Audrey Matei, silver key in poetry; Alina Susani, honorable mention in personal essay and memoirs; Sasha Watson gold key and two honorable mentions in short stories, silver key and honorable mention in flash fiction, silver key and honorable mention in poetry, honorable mention in personal essay and memoirs; Vincent Zhang, gold key in poetry; and Sarina Zhao silver key in personal essay and memoirs. 

While Sasha, a sophomore, doesn’t write to win awards for her work, she was overjoyed to have received several awards in this competition. 

She said, “Being recognized with an award is a wonderful way to boost my confidence, especially when I feel stuck with my writing and can turn to the awards as a reminder that if I keep working hard I can see results.”