With free-throw contest and school-wide rock-paper-scissors, students kick off Spirit Week

Ella Beiser, Midway Reporter

Students stream into Upper Kovler, chatting as they make their way to their seats while old Miley Cyrus songs blast through the speakers. The Homecoming spirit assembly was run by Student Council during today’s assembly period. It kicked off this week’s school spirit festivities for Homecoming.

At the spirit assembly, students participated in activities ranging from a free-throw basketball contest to Fruit by the Foot eating contests to a challenge to find a whistle in a bowl of whipped cream to a game of rock-paper-scissors across all grades.

The varsity boys soccer team plays Elgin Academy Sept. 21 at 4:30 p.m. for a Homecoming game. On Sept. 29, the swim team “Dive to Save Lives” to raise money for breast cancer research at the University of Chicago. They will also sell T-shirts, wristbands and other spirit-wear.

The structure of spirit week is different this year, with two extra days.

“The main reasons we added the extra two days were because homecoming week fell during sophomore retreat, so lots of U-High would be missing,” All-School Cultural Union President Aly Latherow said.

Today — grade color day — was also the first day of spirit week, which  will continue until Sept. 28 with a different theme each day.

Tomorrow is Hawaiian shirt/beach day, Monday is PJ day, Tuesday is dress like a teacher day, Wednesday is meme day, Thursday is denim day, and Friday finishes off the week with Maroon day.

Students can be recognized by teachers and given a button for their costumes. At the end of the week, students can turn in their buttons for raffle tickets. One winner from each grade will receive an $20 Amazon gift card. Spirit week will come to a close with the Homecoming dance on Saturday, Sept. 29.