The winning recipe: Baklava Fingerprint Cookies
1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter until blended. Beat in eggs, one at a
time, and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt;
gradually beat into creamed mixture. Wrap dough in plastic; refrigerate until
firm enough to form into balls, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. For topping, combine sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg; set
aside. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll each ball in the sugar mixture; Place 2-
1/2 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. If dough becomes too soft,
refrigerate it for a few minutes.
- Bake 8 minutes. Remove cookies and press a deep indentation in center of
each with the back of a rounded teaspoon. Fill each with honey and hazelnuts;
sprinkle with a bit more sugar mix.
- Return to oven and bake until edges begin to brown, 7-9 minutes longer. Cool
on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.