Filed under Showcase, Sports

Super Troupe-ers

Reborn, motivated and ready, dance troupe has over five times as many dancers as last year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Super Troupe-ers

MOVE TO THE BEAT. Dance troupe members perform in Upper Kovler during halftime of the boys varsity basketball game, Dec. 1. Dance troupe grew from just  ve members last year to over 25 girls from all four grade levels. The team danced to two songs and are currently rehearsing a new routine for the next home game, Dec. 13.

MOVE TO THE BEAT. Dance troupe members perform in Upper Kovler during halftime of the boys varsity basketball game, Dec. 1. Dance troupe grew from just ve members last year to over 25 girls from all four grade levels. The team danced to two songs and are currently rehearsing a new routine for the next home game, Dec. 13.

Isabella Kellermeier

Isabella Kellermeier

Isabella Kellermeier

Dance troupe has grown from 5 members to 26 members in the past year as a result of strong coach-student relationships. With their increased size, the dance team has more team spirit and has been able to explore more diverse styles of dance.

Yael explained that the coach and the team have a collaborative supportive relationship.

“She’s super supportive of what we want to do, and we bounce ideas off each other all the time,” Yael said.

Dance troupe coach and PE teacher Nichole Maggliocco said she and her dancers are fully in sync.

“The kids really feel they can come talk to me about what we’re doing,” she said. “I’m very open if they have a conflict. I always let them go to their other commitment, and as long as they learn the choreography, they can still perform.”

It hasn’t always been this positive. Troupe captain Yael Rolnik, a senior, explained that a few years ago there were internal tensions between the team and the coach, PE teacher Nichole Magliocco, which caused the majority of the team members to quit.

A big benefit of having a bigger team as opposed to having only five people is formation.With 26 people there’s a lot of formation changes and cool transformations you can do, especially with pom routines … Everyone contributes something when we’re doing our routines.””

— Yael Rolnik, Dance Troupe captain

“Last year we resolved all of our problems and had a better relationship with the coach,” Yael said, “and I think people realized that it was a better environment, so a lot of people joined.”

Ms. Maggliocco said that dance troupe’s artsfest performance last year was helpful in recruiting members.

“When they performed at artsfest, I think kids really saw the dance troupe as a unified team instead of just as students who throw dances together,” she said.

Yael said that with more people the dance troupe has better morale.

Sara Gregg

New team member Sara Gregg, a junior, said she likes the energy on the team.

“Everyone is really supportive and wants to help you learn the choreography,” she said.

With more people on the team, the dancers have explored new choreography styles.

“A big benefit of having a bigger team as opposed to having only five people is formation,” Yael said. “With 26 people there’s a lot of formation changes and cool transformations you can do, especially with pom routines. Some people are really good at gymnastics, some people are good at ballet, or some people are really good at hip-hop. Everyone contributes something when we’re doing our routines.”