U. S. women’s soccer team trainer joins U-High athletics

Back to Article
Back to Article

NEW YEAR, NEW TRAINER — New trainer, Barrett Jones wraps athlete’s ankle outside Sunny Gym. Mr. Jones was the head athletic trainer for U.S. women’s national soccer team before he came to Lab. Mr. Jones replaced Ashley Alonso, who left U-High to join the police academy.

Will Koenen

Will Koenen

Will Koenen

Ivan Beck, Features Editor

Before practice, students flood into the trainer’s office, chattering with teammates, and are greeted with a new face. Barrett Jones began as the new athletic trainer for the Lab Schools Jan. 7. Mr. Jones took over after Lab’s former trainer, Ashley Alonso, who left the position earlier this year to join the police academy.

Mr. Jones is not new to the world of physical training, as he boasts a rather prestigious past.

“I worked with the Soccer Federation national team for the last three years. I oversaw the national team coverage – so everything under the teams you see on TV.” Mr. Jones explained, “I worked in division one, division three athletics, and in the MLS as well.”

As the athletic trainer, Mr. Jones works with student-athletes for prevention, recognition, and care on injuries, as well as first aid coverage at games when needed. So far, he has worked to get become acquainted with the various teams and staff members at this school, as well as the facilities he has for his use.

“I’m looking forward to kind of getting used to the environment and set up new protocols and rehab programs for different sports throughout the year.” Mr. Jones said.

Despite being able to boast a distinguished past in physical training, his specialty is helping soccer athletes. Therefore, he has been forced to learn a great deal more about a range of different sports.

“It’s been an adjustment working multiple sports and re-learning the intricacies for each, outside of soccer, but it’s been a good transition,” Mr. Jones said.

With the widespread increase in sports participation in the last few years, the amount of injuries and the corresponding need for a trainer has only increased. The trainer’s office is open every day of the week after school until approximately 8:00 pm.