Toxic turf: athletes express concerns about Jackman upgrade

Katerina Lopez, Reporter

A plan to replace the grass on Jackman Field with turf has at least one soccer player concerned about toxic chemicals and evaluating whether he should play next fall.

Athletics Director David Ribbens emphasized that the grass field is overused and is no longer at optimal conditions for P.E. classes, athletic practices and games.

Sophomore Eli Hinerfeld is one player considering sitting out next fall’s soccer season, citing numerous health concerns about some types of turf.

I’m extremely opposed to the crumb rubber material …. The little black particles commonly seen in children’s and athletes’ fields are often made of old, ground up toxic tires that can no longer be used.

— Eli Hinerfeld

“I’m extremely opposed to the crumb rubber material used in many fields across the United States,” Eli said. “The little black particles commonly seen in children’s and athletes’ fields are often made of old, ground up toxic tires that can no longer be used.”

Studies have shown that some turf can be harmful to people with asthma, and if consumed could lead to cancer. A Yale University study showed that the material in the rubber used on turf fields can be toxic.

“What we found is that a large number of the chemicals in crumb rubber are classified either as carcinogenic or as irritants of some kind, including respiratory irritants which can be harmful to folks with asthma,” said Dr. Gaboury Benoit, a Yale University professor of environmental chemistry and environmental engineering, in the Yale crumb rubber study.

Eli Hinerfeld

Mr. Ribbens has considered multiple types of turf.

“The safety of the participants and of the field itself is a priority,” Mr. Ribbens said. “We’ve done our research and can say that the [turf] field is safe for participation.”

U-High soccer players already play on artificial turf fields for preseason practices at a University of Chicago field at East 61st Street and South Woodlawn Avenue. The teams also play on turf at other schools, including fields used by the Latin School of Chicago and Francis W. Parker School.

Artificial turf will be installed on Jackman Field during the summer in order for it to be ready for the fall season.

An installation company will be selected by spring, but Mr. Ribbens declined to disclose the companies being considered until a decision had been made.