Tech helper Justin Clark breaks grouchy stereotype

Emerson Wright

WORKING HARD. Justin Clark, a member of the Information Systems staff who focuses on troubleshooting and training, works at his dual monitor setup in the basement of Judd Hall.

Lots of people say they spent their day “putting out fires,” but for Justin Clark that’s a true statement. Dealing with exploding laptops — which happened last month — may not be in the job description, but Mr. Clark greets students with a warm smile regardless of their problem.

Down in the basement, Mr. Clark works in Information Systems troubleshooting and training people in the programs that show how to use Lab’s technological resources. The child of two educators, Mr. Clark knew he wanted to combine his love for computers with education but didn’t know how until he got to Lab.

“I really wanted to use my powers for good, for education,” Mr. Clark said. “I do a lot of quick troubleshooting because I’ve seen a lot of things.”

Outside of his job, he is an avid Chicago Cubs fan, even dressing from head to toe in Cubs gear for the first game of the season. After working at the Apple Store, Mr. Clark worked as the IT manager for the satirical publication The Onion. While working at Lab, Mr. Clark is also pursuing a master’s degree in adult education with a focus on learning technologies through DePaul University.

Mr. Clark uses this knowledge to help teachers use the technology installed in their classrooms and to show students how to use their resources.

“I also work with teachers to create tutorials for them like on the printers, we work to design things so people understand technology,” Mr. Clark said. “I really like computers — I’ve been playing around with them since I was like 11 — and I really like teaching and education. It’s a great melding of those. I get to help people learn about this stuff while working with state-of-the-art-technologies.”

The relationship with the people he’s helping is one of the largest aspects of IT, according to Mr. Clark.

“Being able to talk through someone’s problem and not make them feel like an idiot, not make them feel scared, not make them feel anxious is a huge asset,” Mr. Clark said. “A lot of IT guys are seen  as being reserved, mean, grouchy, hating people because they use technology wrong, and I want to break that stereotype. A lot of the skills in IT is aligning with customer experiences and understanding how they feel. If I can tell people how to solve their problem without wanting to throw their laptop in a river, it’s really powerful. At Apple we used to say, you’re repairing the relationship with the customer first, then the computer.”

According to Malti Bahroos, a technical support specialist with IS who works closely with Mr. Clark daily, that orientation towards both students and his fellow workers is exactly what makes him special.

“He is brilliant, he is knowledgeable, he is fantastic and he’s very approachable,” Ms. Bahroos said. “That approachability and kindness makes him very easy to work with. He explains things at a level where everyone can understand it, so no one feels inferior.”

Mr. Clark hopes to continue his work helping people, which he currently does with his wife at homeless shelters including Inspiration Kitchen, teaching residents how to use email or a printer. This gives them the skills that they need to be able to hold a job.

“I would love to create and design ways for people to use technology,” Mr Clark said. “I want to give back with this knowledge in some way. Maybe it’s working in senior citizen homes and showing them how to use technology, because I feel like they’re a forgotten part of this society. They think they don’t like it, but they really need it.”

While Mr. Clark may see giving back as a goal for the future, the students with exploding laptops and crashing software receive all the help they need from him, with the consistently friendly manner that makes him fun to work with.