Athletics director David Ribbens recognized as Master Athletics Administrator

David Ribbens got the certificate after working at Lab for 17 years.

NIAA

Téa Tamburo, Reporter

David Ribbens, athletics director, was recognized as a Certified Master Athletics Administrator last week, after 17 years in the Laboratory Schools athletics department.

The first certification he received was Certified Athletic Administrator, in 2009. Since then, Mr. Ribbens said he has wanted to achieve the highest level of certification, Master Athletics Administrator. The certifications are through the National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association.

“It’s a good accomplishment. I’m happy with the product I was able to present,” Mr. Ribbens said about the project he submitted as part of the certification process. 

Mr. Ribbens is part of a small number of athletic directors nationwide who have obtained this prestigious certification. 

For 10 years, Mr. Ribbens has written about his objection to the IHSA enrollment multiplier. As the final step of his most recent certification, this was the topic he presented to the NIAAA.

I think there’s a lifelong learning that’s part of our passion as a community. This represents a lifelong learning for me.

— David Ribbens

Coming to the Laboratory Schools 17 years ago, Mr. Ribbens ensured he would be taking high school leadership training classes for the high school program. For him, this certification is an accumulation of years of experience in this profession. 

“I know I have accomplished something professionally,” Mr. Ribbens said. “I think there’s a lifelong learning that’s part of our passion as a community. This represents lifelong learning for me.”