Councils to accept new members, address health and wellness

Director of Student Services Nicole Neal said the wellness councils are responsible for tasks such as holding forums about wellness topics, planning events centered around wellness and providing resources to teachers and parents.

Colin Leslie, Reporter

To fill vacancies on Lab’s wellness councils, Director of Student Services Nicole Neal and Title IX Coordinator Betsy Noel will send an email inviting parents, students, faculty members and administrators to join.

According to Ms. Neal, Lab has wellness councils dedicated to nursery through second grade, lower school, middle school, high school and the entire school.

“The division councils really focus on social and emotional learning and wellness within those divisions,” Ms. Neal said. “What social emotional learning looks like in nursery school is going to look totally different in high school.”

Ms. Neal said the wellness councils are responsible for tasks such as holding forums about wellness topics, planning events centered around wellness and providing resources to teachers and parents.

“First and foremost is to hear from the school what questions they have, what resources they need, what challenges they are presented with relative to health, wellness and social and emotional learning,” Ms. Neal said.

In addition to filling vacancies on the wellness councils, Ms. Neal said she is considering with Ms. Noel a wellness newsletter to update the entire Lab community on wellness in the school, but the details have not been established. 

Ms. Neal said, “Transparency is critical to being able to garner support for what’s happening [in wellness], so an easy way to do that would be to provide a communication to the entire community on a quarterly basis about everything that’s happening from nursery school all the way through high school.”