UChicago president to be inaugurated Oct. 29

Paul Alivisatos, the University of Chicago’s 14th president, will be inaugurated Oct. 29 at 10 a.m. in Rockefeller Memorial Chapel.

Ryan Clark, Opinion Editor

Paul Alivisatos, the University of Chicago’s 14th president, will be inaugurated Oct. 29 at 10 a.m. in Rockefeller Memorial Chapel. University administrators are limiting the number of people that can attend the inauguration in-person, but a link to watch the event live online will also be available. Attendance at Rockefeller Chapel is by invitation only.

The university is also hosting campus watch parties at Mandel Hall and Max Palevsky Cinema for members of the university community.

The inauguration procession will begin at 9:30 a.m. on Woodlawn Avenue, and a shuttle service will convey attendees from the Campus North Parking Structure to Rockefeller Chapel as needed.

To reduce the risk of coronavirus transmission, those seeking to attend any official inauguration-related events must present specified documentation as detailed on the inauguration website.

Mr. Alivisatos, a University of Chicago alumnus, chemist and former provost of the University of California, Berkeley, assumed office Sept. 1, and the inauguration is a formal ceremony to mark the transition.