Graham Robbins, all-school vice president

May 5, 2022

Midway staff

What are some of your initial goals for the next year?

“Student Council in the past has not really, I think, been the best communicators of what’s going on in the student body. And I think that really what needs to change is not really doing the traditional things like Schoology posts, and, you know, written statements, because those have always been done. I think it’s really about, like, getting into the community where it’s already effective.”

Why did you personally want to become vice president?

“I think it was kind of a natural transition going from grade vice president. But beyond that, I think it’s a role that’s kind of really, like, you can do a lot of things with it […] I think anyone can do Student Council. It’s not that it takes this special skill set, or you need these sort of special powers to be able to do something. It’s really about connecting with your peers and listening, and then bringing up concerns to the relevant student body or student groups or administration.”

Your election guide blurb mentions that you were trying to advocate for an anonymous faculty reporting system. Could you elaborate on that?

“What a lot of students have mentioned and brought up to administration and Student Council is that you do have to put in an email address [into the bias reporting form] […] Having that does not really make for always an accessible experience because there are times when students just want to get something off their mind or say something without their name being attached to it. And that’s something that I think the school needs to respect. […] Sometimes what people really need is just to say something, put something out there, and feel that an adult is hearing them and not necessarily having them be responsible for going through that process.”