Top Albums

December 13, 2019

Through a survey conducted by the Midway, U-High students selected these albums as the most influential of the past year

“Cuz I Love You”

Released: April 19

“Cuz I Love You” combines elements of pop, hip-hop, and R&B. The album expresses messages of self-love and self-care to the listener, alongside Lizzo’s powerful vocals.

“I just really like how over-the-top she is and how she never takes herself too seriously, which is pretty refreshing,” Emily He said.

After hitting the top charts with her singles “Good As Hell” and “Truth Hurts,” “Cuz I Love You” is Lizzo’s third album. Alongside “Truth Hurts,” her most popular songs from the album include “Juice” and “Boys.” With 11 songs total, the album is 33 minutes long.

“I think what really sold me was the music video for Cuz I Love You. It was hilarious,” Emily said, adding that Lizzo’s songs seemed very unique.

“Cuz I Love You” peaked at number 6 on the Billboard 200 list, staying on the top 10 for 15 weeks after its release.

“Thank U, Next”

Released: Feb. 8

Ariana Grande’s fifth solo album, named after her hit single released Nov. 3, 2018, was among the top albums voted by U-High students. Composed of 12 songs, the album is a 41-minute listen.

Senior Kathy Luan, a fan of Ms. Grande’s music, said she sees the album as inspiring.

“She was able to release such a powerful and impactful album after going through all of the things that she has gone through,” Kathy said.

Eleven of 12 songs were listed top 40 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart simultaneously, with every song making the top 100. “Thank U, Next” claimed the top spot on the Billboard 200 for two weeks.

Kathy said she especially appreciates the lyrics in each song, as they are rich with inspiration and power.

She said, “The fact that she has gone through all of this and was able to make these songs for herself and also for her fans really shows me that whatever I go through I can get through.”

“Hollywood’s Bleeding”

Released: April 19

“Hollywood’s Bleeding” combines hip hop, trap, rhythm and blues, and pop. Post Malone’s third studio album was released Sept. 6, hit number one on the U.S. Billboard 200. It was his second number one album, each released in the past two years. “Wow,” “Goodbyes” and “Circles” claimed number two or three on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 list.

The album exposes Post Malone’s more relatable, vulnerable side in tracks such as “Goodbyes,” “Die For Me” and “Circles” while also offering tracks that flaunt his lavish lifestyle. 

“I thought it was cool that the album came out right as school started, so it kinda marked the beginning of the school year for me,” Ethan Lee said.

Ethan said that although he prefers Post Malone’s first album, he specifically enjoyed the creative use of word play and interesting rhymes in the first couple of songs.

“Igor”

Released: April 19

Produced, written and arranged entirely by Tyler, the Creator, “Igor” debuted number one on the U.S. Billboard 200 on May 17, becoming his first number one album. The album’s lead single, “EARFQUAKE” hit 13 on the Billboard 100, becoming the highest-charting single of Tyler, the Creator.

“I like listening to ‘Igor’ because it’s very soothing but energetic at some points,” freshman Phoebe Collar said. “I usually listen when I’m with friends or just relaxing.”

Phoebe said she thinks the album is cool because it shows his perfectionism and revisits ideas from his past albums.

In “Igor,” Tyler, the Creator, discusses heartbreak and a waning relationship, making the album emotional and revealing.

The album also features an array of artists including Kanye West, Solange, Playboi Carti, Lil Uzi Vert and Jerrod Carmichael.

“Jesus Is King”

Released: Oct. 25

After missing two initial release dates in September, “Jesus is King,” was released Oct. 25.

With the album debut, Mr. West’s ninth studio album, Mr. West became the first artist to simultaneously top five different charts: U.S. Billboard 200, Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums, Top Rap Albums, Top Christian Albums and Top Gospel Albums.

“I haven’t really heard anything like it before,” sophomore Asha Bahroos said. She added that she thinks most of Mr. West’s music either leans very contemporary or very traditional in his style of rap, but that in “Jesus is King” Mr. West creates a balance between the two.

As its name suggests, the album features prominent themes of Chirstianity and is free of any explicit lyrics, a large distinction from Mr. West’s other albums.