Volleyball sisters gain team mentality

March 8, 2018

Sydney Rogers dives after the ball, falling to the floor, and watches from the ground as it rises over the net and out of bounds. She slaps the floor and immediately her teammates are there to help her up. They laugh it off, high five, and get back in position, ready to receive the next serve.

Sydney, a sophomore, and her sister Erin, a junior, began playing volleyball three years ago and have continued through high school. It has become a large commitment for both of them and has shaped their social and athletic circles.

Sam Fleming
PRACTICING FOR PERFECTION. Lunging toward the ball, sophomore Sydney Rogers practices at Chicago Elite in February. Sydney practices over 15 hours each week.

The sisters play for different divisions within their  competitive volleyball club, Chicago Elite. Volleyball has taught them valuable lessons about time management and what it means to be a member of a team.

Erin especially has taken advantage of the management skills volleyball has given her.

“In a way I think it’s actually helped me academically,” Erin said. “I used to waste so much time before I got home everyday after school. Club forces me to better manage my time and plan things ahead of time.”

The sisters also play for the U-High volleyball team, but club play is where they feel they get the chance to really shine. Although club volleyball takes a lot of time out of their schedules, which can be seen as a sacrifice, both of the sisters made it clear that volleyball has made them become better students and team members Because both sisters spend around 15 hours per week and sometimes up to eight hours per Saturday on the court their club teams have become like family.

“Before volleyball I did gymnastics,” Sydney said. “Volleyball forced me to work with a team and to lead. Even through at first that was hard, I really appreciate what it gave me.”

Erin said her team has been forced to come together.

“I’ve been on the court before when a girl on my team went up to attack and ended up passing out and having a seizure,” Erin said. “I had to take control and call 911. It was terrifying, but she ended up being fine.”

Although Erin and Sydney are both dedicated to volleyball, they are thankful for what it has given them in high school even though they know the sport doesn’t have a large role within their futures.

“I mean, the ultimate goal is a scholarship,” Sydney said. “But if that doesn’t work, I just want to try out for whatever school I end up going to.”

Most importantly volleyball has shaped the sisters’ attitude toward life.

“You just need to keep a positive attitude because a negative one brings down all the people around you,” Erin said.