Class+Clouds

Lillian Nemeth

Class Clouds

For buzz, rush and rebellion, vaping popularity grows among students — even in class

March 8, 2018

It’s wildly against the rules, banned in the student handbook and illegal for the dozens and dozens of students using them under 18. For many U-High teens, however, breaking the rules by vaping nicotine at school is perceived as harmless and just part of the fun.

I have Juul-ed in class, because people get rushes out of things they’re not supposed to do. I don’t make it obvious. I hide it with my hands or do it when the teacher’s looking away. I do it for a very short time and make sure the smoke is exhaled in a discreet manner.

While Cook County tobacco regulations forbid anyone under 21 from buying tobacco products and anyone under 18 from using them, their size makes them hard to control. Devices like the Juul, one of the most popular e-cigarettes, are small and easy to conceal in a palm, making them virtually undetectable. This allows students to use their vaporizers at school without the worry of being caught.

Vaping in class has become a trend in some groups, with students experimenting to see how far they can go without being caught. The Midway has changed the names of students quoted in this story.

One senior, “Bart,” said his parents are unaware of his habit. He heard about devices like the Juul a year ago from friends on the East Coast. When his Chicago friends joined the trend, he was intrigued.

“I have Juul-ed in class, because people get rushes out of things they’re not supposed to do,” Bart said, referring to using a Juul device to vape while in class. “I don’t make it obvious. I hide it with my hands or do it when the teacher’s looking away. I do it for a very short time and make sure the smoke is exhaled in a discreet manner.”

Besides nicotine, other types of vaping devices can be used to consume marijuana products. In addition to owning a Juul for nicotine, a different student, “Rick,” owns a dab pen to take THC concentrates with.

“I got the Juul before I got the pen, but you can put THC in the pen instead of nicotine,” Rick said. “There’s also pods for the Juul which means you don’t have to refill it with liquid.”

The widespread belief is that vaping will not affect people adversely.

“I looked into it a lot before starting it because I didn’t want to get into anything that would seriously affect me,” Bart said. “All the sources, even the independent ones that carried out their own studies, said it was fine. There’s no physical impact besides the addiction aspect, so it’s not going to mess up your lungs or do anything permanent to your brain.”

A recent study from New York University says nicotine may not be entirely harmless.

For Rick, vaping actually served as a less harmful alternative to a cigarette addiction, making him one of the relatively few students using the Juul as intended.

“I smoked cigarettes for almost a year and decided I didn’t want to do this anymore, so I switched to a healthier option, Juul-ing,” Rick said. “It’s been way better for me. I don’t cough as much and my lungs don’t feel as bad, so it’s been pretty good. People don’t complain about the smell anymore.”

Rick doesn’t vape in class, but he does use a Juul and a vaping pen to vape while at school.

“I might leave the class and use it during class,” Rick said, “but I’ve never hit it in the room.”

Bart chose the Juul precisely for the ability to conceal and use it during class. A Juul device is $34.99, and a four-pod pack of the fluid is $15.99. One pod contains the same nicotine as a pack of cigarettes.

“I got my own, and I’ve enjoyed having it because of the temporary feeling it gives,” Bart said. “It’s very discreet. The obvious setback is the slight addiction you get, but in my experience when running out of juice or pods the only real trouble is the first day of non-usage. I’ll just feel off a little bit and kind of moody with a slight longing. After that first day it’s honestly fine.”

Rick may not be concerned about the possible health risks that may come from vaping, but he is certainly more worried about the possible consequences resulting form getting caught by a parent or teacher.

“I don’t want to be caught by anybody that might get me into trouble,” Rick said. “I am definitely worried about what would happen if I got caught by my parents or one of my teachers. I’m extra-careful to not get caught, so I take a lot of precautions even when I Juul in class.”