Janina Hanson holds a Peruvian baked good.

Janina Hanson

1. Where did you work before Lab? 
    1. “Before Lab, I was working at the Latin School of Chicago. I was the middle school world languages department chair. I taught middle school Spanish and was a 5th-grade homeroom teacher.”
  2. How would you describe your style of teaching?
    1. “I think my teaching style can be described as dynamic, comprehensible, culture-focused and proficiency-oriented. In my experience, factors such as lack of comprehension and motivation can play a defining role when learning a new language. For this reason, I try my best to make the content accessible and engaging for my students. Also, I love to share with them my experiences as a native Spanish speaker from Peru and the benefits of a proficiency-oriented classroom in which language, culture and students are at its core.” 
  3. What do you hope your students will say about you at the end of the year?
    1. “At the end of the year, it’s my hope that my students will feel successful, find joy while acquiring new language skills and know that I’m here to support them along the way. I love being a teacher and even more so when I see my students growing as Spanish speakers.” 
  4. What was one of your favorite pandemic activities?
    1. “One of my favorite activities has been going out for daily walks. I have found this to be a great way to meditate, slow down and focus on the positive despite the challenges we face daily.”

U-High Midway • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in