Michael Bruner cooks with his daughter.
- Where did you work before Lab?
- Before Lab, Mr. Bruner worked at the Chicago High School for the Arts for five years as a clinical counselor.
- Would be able to give me a sense of your style of counseling, like how you interact with your students?
- “My style is generally very warm, nonjudgmental and empathetic. I aim to listen deeply to students in order to gain a full understanding of how they feel and how they arrived at feeling that way.”
- What do you hope the students who you counsel will say about you at the end of the year?
- “They don’t have to say anything — it’s counseling, and counseling is confidential unless someone is in danger. That said, my goal is always to make sure people feel heard when talking with me.”
- What was one of your favorite pandemic activities?
- “The greatest joy I’ve had this summer has been bike riding with my daughter.”