Applications open for SummerLink internships

Midway Staff

U-High sophomores and juniors will work among fellow high school and college students for 37.5 hours a week to research areas of interest in the computer science field.

Chloe Alexander, Reporter

The 2022 Summer Link internship program applications will open Dec. 13 for business, social sciences and humanities. 

Summer Link is an opportunity for students to have experience in a working environment for six weeks over the summer. Students can intern  at the University of Chicago, nonprofit organizations, arts organizations and corporate and legal offices. “It pays Chicago minimum wage, $15 per hour,” co-chair of Summer Link Christy Gerst said, “and will be a six-week paid internship.”

Applications are open to rising juniors and seniors. Students will have to write an essay and submit a letter of recommendation.. The application process is multi-step and the essays are anonymously reviewed.

Students also have to fill out an interest form that allows easier placement into a program.  There are about 25 internships offered and whether they are in-person, remote or hybrid depends on the employer. 

There will be an informational session on Jan. 11 at lunch in the library classroom for students to ask questions about Summer Link. Past Participants will also be there to share their experiences and answer any questions. 

“There will be people who did the internship last year who will answer questions,” Ms. Gerst said, “it will allow students to get a good sense of what the program is like.”