Girl Up fundraiser will support families affected by domestic abuse

Girl Up

A design on the products offered in the Girl Up fundraiser, which will run until March 20.

Chloe Alexander, Reporter

The Girl Up club started an online fundraiser Feb. 28 to raise money for Connections for Abused Women and their Children. The fundraiser will go until March 20.

The online fundraiser offers T-shirts along with masks, tote bags and other products to raise money. 

“In the past we’ve also done T-shirt fundraisers,” Girl Up vice president Sarina Zhao said. “So that’s what we’re doing this year. We’ve added some extra products like tote bags, masks and other stuff.”

T-Shirts are $25, face masks $15, pullover hoodies are $45 and tote bags are $30-$35. 

Girl Up is a worldwide group focused on working toward gender equality. Lab’s chapter decides on an organization to receive the money they raise each year.

“The members do research on some different organizations and potential places you might want to donate to, and we ended up with this organization,” Sarina said. 

Sarina says club members want to spread awareness and create a way for people to explore how they can be involved in community activism. 

While there is no financial goal for the fundraiser, the club would appreciate the support for these women and children, and support toward gender equality by students, parents and faculty.

Correction: An original version of this story said the fundraiser will go until March 18. The fundraiser will go until March 20.