Eight boys track and field athletes compete in state competition

Junior+Luke+Grotthus+takes+the+baton+from+junior+teammate+William+Montague.+The+two+were+part+of+a+4x400+meter+relay+including+juniors+Cristian+Ferreyra+and+Sohan+Manek.+

Gabriel Issa

Junior Luke Grotthus takes the baton from junior teammate William Montague. The two were part of a 4×400 meter relay including juniors Cristian Ferreyra and Sohan Manek.

Katie Sasamoto-Kurisu, Reporter

The boys track and field team sent eight athletes to compete in three events at the state championship May 26-28 in Charleston at Eastern Illinois University, where one student, ninth grader Simon Lane, advanced to the finals.

In preliminary heats, the 4×400 relay team of William Montague, Luke Grotthuss, Sohan Manek and Cristian Ferreyra placed 17th of 24 teams, running a 3:35.49. The 4×800 relay team of Amon Gray, Ben O’Donnell, Ellis Domenick and Cristian Ferreyra placed 24th, running a 9:01.31. Simon Lane had a season best time in the 3,200 meter, improving by nearly 30 seconds, running a 10:24.48 and placing 21st.

At the IHSA 2A Sectional meet held May 19, the Maroons scored 37.5 points placing 7th out of 12 teams. 

Cristian said the meet is always exciting and a privilege for the team. 

“State is always wild — the environment there is electric,” Cristian said. “We’re really just there to enjoy the experience and try to set a record for the team.”

Correction: An original version of this story said no boys track athletes advanced to the finals. One student did advance to the finals. This story was corrected at 9:48 p.m., June 3, 2022.