Volleyball team wins regionals, advances to sectional finals

Matthew McGehee

The volleyball team celebrates their victory in their ISL regional finals match against King High School.

William Tan, Editor in Chief

Update: On Oct. 2, the volleyball team lost to Chicago Christian High School 25-10 and 25-15 in the 2A IHSA Sectional Championship match at North Lawndale College Prep. The Maroons finished the season with a 28-4 record but did not advance to the state championship.

The volleyball team defeated Beecher High School on Oct. 31 to advance to the 2A IHSA Sectional Championship. They will face Chicago Christian High School at the North Lawndale College Prep High School on Nov. 2 at 6 p.m. in hopes of qualifying for the 2A IHSA State Championship.

The Maroons are one of 16 remaining teams competing for the Class 2A Championship out of 188 schools in Illinois, and they currently have a record of 28-3, their highest record in the past 20 years.

The players are excited to advance in the competition, and they believe their hard work and camaraderie will pay off.

“I think we’re going to go really far because this is the closest our team’s ever been. We all have really good individual relationships, which makes the whole team’s relationship really strong,” said Charlotte Henderson, senior and team captain. “I think we’re all really excited. We’re staying humble while having confidence in ourselves.”

On Oct. 27, the volleyball team defeated King High School to win the regional championship, which was the team’s ninth regional victory since 2005.