U-High journalism programs win national awards

The+U-High+Midway+and+U-Highlights+have+both+received+the+Crown+Award+from+Colombia+Scholastic+Press+Association.+U-High+is+one+of+15+schools+to+be+recognized+for+their+yearbook+and+news+publications.+

Matt Petres

The U-High Midway and U-Highlights have both received the Crown Award from Colombia Scholastic Press Association. U-High is one of 15 schools to be recognized for their yearbook and news publications.

Louis Auxenfans, News Editor

Both of the student publications in the journalism department have received a top national award — one for the first time.

The U-High Midway and U-Highlights have received the Crown Award from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association. The publications will be awarded with either a Gold or Silver Crown when the results are announced in March.

Just 15 schools nationwide were recognized with a Crown Award for both their yearbook and news publications.

The 2021-22 Midway was one of 41 publications recognized in the hybrid news category, which includes both print and online formats. This is the Midway’s sixth Crown in a row, and 26th overall.

For the first time ever, U-Highlights was honored in the print yearbook category for the 2022 edition.
Midway editor-in-chief William Tan said the hybrid finalist award shows the great work that the Midway has done in both print and online.

“I think it is really great work on everyone’s part, not just certain editors, but the entire team,” William said. “I think that’s reflective of the kind of community we have in the journalism teams.”

U-Highlights editor-in-chief Jackie Slimmon said the first-time getting this award signifies the great progress the yearbook has made in the last few years.

“It’s definitely significant being the first time we get this award because I’ve been a part of the staff for a couple of years now,” Jackie said. “I’ve seen more than one great yearbook, but I think the one from last year is significant because we introduced a lot of new aspects, and I’m just really proud of how well we did.”