BSA posts signs commemorating Black History Month on every locker

The+Black+Students+Association+put+posters+with+quotes+commemorating+Black+History+Month+on+each+students+locker+on+Feb.+1.+

Matt Petres

The Black Students’ Association put posters with quotes commemorating Black History Month on each student’s locker on Feb. 1.

Téa Tamburo, Editor-in-Chief

Unexpected posters greeted students when they went to put away their books and coats the morning of Feb. 1. Unlike most locker signs, which celebrate birthdays or provide athletic encouragement, every student’s locker featured quotes from students and prominent figures in the Black community.

To commemorate the start of Black History Month, the Black Students’ Association displayed dozens of different posters to continue the message they shared at the Martin Luther King Jr. Assembly of acknowledging the breadth and prominence of Black voices and culture. 

We continue the idea that Black is not a monolith and that we all have different experiences and different perspectives on what it means to be Black,” Camille Bryant, BSA co-president, said. 

Each BSA board member chose quotes they found meaningful and represented their experience being Black, and the posters also highlight an array of identities, Camille said.

She said, “I feel like it’s also good that we have that representation because it also brought in the conversations to not just on Blackness and Black culture but also to other people.” 

Michael Ewing, BSA co-president, said BSA members considered displaying the posters after the Jan. 12 assembly and Jan. 17 audio testimonials but is glad the later date has students recalling BSA’s message of acknowledging Black voices.

Throughout their high school experiences, Camille and Michael felt “in-the-shadows” because Black voices haven’t really been heard or acknowledged, Camille said.

“We want our presence to be known, and we want our voice to be acknowledged, and we also want to continue this discussion because it’s not just a one-and-done thing,” she said. “The journey to having a welcoming community is not just a one-step process. It requires effort and it requires recognition.”

Michael emphasized the perpetual importance of amplifying Black voices and hearing members of the Black community.

“It’s an eternal struggle for us to have our voices heard, and I really want those who are part of our community to know that we hear them and those who aren’t a part of our community to just see that message being shared as much as possible,” Michael said, “which is why I really like that we put it on every locker, because every student got to see it.”