Nesbitt named ISL Player of the Year; others receive all-conference honors

Ellis Calleri

Senior Xavier Nesbitt was named an ISL Player of the year for the second year in a row. Xavier and senior Ben King were selected for the all-conference team.

Kabir Joshi, Reporter

Four basketball athletes have received ISL honors. 

Boys basketball player Xavier Nesbitt was named as ISL Player of the Year for the second consecutive year. Along with Xavier, Ben King was selected for the all-conference team, and teammates Donovan Hacket and Noah Hoereth were selected to join the honorable mention team. Girls basketball player Alex Giles was selected for the honorable mention all-conference team. 

Xavier finished the season leading all Chicago high school players and all IHSA Class 2A players (199 schools) averaging 28.5 points per game, and he ranked 4th in points per game for all 740 basketball teams in Illinois.

Xavier has been playing basketball for more than 13 years and enjoys the competitive aspect. 

“I just like competing, just feeling everyone is trying to win and being forced to push yourself to play your hardest,” Xavier said.

Xavier feels extremely honored to receive the ISL Player of the Year award in consecutive years, and Xavier said it was a goal of his to win it once and to show that if you put your mind to something you can achieve it.

Consecutive player of the year honors were also earned by U-High player Zeke Upshaw in 2008 and 2009. 

Xavier said, “It is a pleasure to be considered or mentioned in the same sentence as him.”