4 principal finalists visit U-High

Four+principal+finalists+visited+U-High+on+April+10-13%2C+talking+with+administrators%2C+students%2C+faculty+and+parents+on+how+they+would+improve+the+high+school.+The+search+committee+aims+to+make+a+decision+by+the+end+of+April.+

Midway Staff

Four principal finalists visited U-High on April 10-13, talking with administrators, students, faculty and parents on how they would improve the high school. The search committee aims to make a decision by the end of April.

Clare McRoberts, Assistant Editor

Four people who want to be U-High’s next principal traveled to Lab this week to present their educational philosophy and their vision for the high school, meeting with students, teachers, parents and administrators in the search process to replace departing Principal Paul Beekmeyer. The finalists come from near and far, from another school in Chicago to as far away as Colorado.

Each candidate had an open drop-in session during lunch where students asked questions ranging from mental health and class rigor to school spirit. The questions were from a list distributed by Dean of Students Ana Campos that were compiled from questions submitted by students.

The first session on April 10 had 25 student attendees, while subsequent sessions had 9 to 13 students attending. The majority of students on each day were Student Council members.

The Midway attended these meetings, and the quotations are from the candidate’s response to other students’ questions.

Chantal Thornberry

Chantal Thornberry

Ms. Thornberry is the director of school culture and wellbeing at Morristown Beard School in Morristown, New Jersey, a role she has held for just under a year. She has had 20 years of experience in education, including posts at schools in Minnesota and Ohio. Ms. Thornberry has worked at schools all over the Midwest, but is a Chicago native, and previously taught English at a school in Chicago.

“I’m a big believer in face to face conversation whenever possible. I value creating those pathways for communication,” Ms. Thornberry said. “I also value making sure that we’re all working in cooperation, and humanizing each other.”

Martin Woods

Martin Woods

Mr. Woods has been director of student life; dean of students; and director of diversity, equity and belonging since 2018 at Wolcott College Prep in the West Town neighborhood of Chicago. In his professional experience of 14 years, beyond administrative positions, he has held music education jobs in the Noble charter schools network and St. Margaret of Scotland School.

“Coming from so many years ago, I was a music teacher, and so, really, that was one of my first jobs in a school,” he said. He added later, “In a school — whether it’s choir band, graphic designing fashion, designing visual arts, graffiti — I want limitlessness.”

Douglas Magee

Douglas Magee

Dr. Magee has been associate head of high school at Ensworth School in Nashville since 2018. He has had 15 years of experience in teaching jobs, including history and writing, and also has held administrative positions. He has held educational roles in New York, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C.

“I think for a variety of reasons, it’s important for administrators to be teachers really to see school through the eyes of students,” he said. He added later, “I’m super curious about people’s stories, and their gifts, talents and abilities and the multitude and ways that they contribute to building community.”

Rafael Muciño

Rafael Muciño

Mr. Muciño has been assistant head of school since 2016 at Fountain Valley School, a high school for boarding and day students in Colorado Springs, Colorado, where he has worked since 2005. He has worked in education roles at secondary schools and universities for 29 years. In his past jobs, he has worked as a Spanish and math teacher, chair of the languages department and a dean of academics.

“I love having an open-door policy,” Mr. Muciño said. “My door is open, so come on and have a conversation to help me understand who you are. Give me the opportunity to tell you who I am, and let’s build that relationship.”