7 girls compete at state track and field

Photo provided by Austin Warner

On May 19 and 20, seven members of the girls track and field team competed at the IHSA 2A State Championship. The team did not advance to the finals, but are hopeful for the years to come.

Ainsley Williams, Audience Engagement Manager

On May 19 and 20, the girls track and field team competed at IHSA 2A State Championship at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, where the team did not advance to the finals.

Results include:

• Sophomore Maxine Hurst placed 17th in the discus.
  • Senior Lucia Muthu placed 24th in the 3200m and 26th in the 1600m.
  • Sophomore Julia Grotthuss placed 27th in the 300m hurdles.
  • The 4×800 relay team of Lucia Muth, Cheresa Turek, Mary Bridget Maloney and Claire Eimer placed 26th. 
  • Ninth grader Hayla Atman Shah competed in the high jump.

On May 11, the athletes qualified for the state championships at the IHSA 2A/3A Sectional Championships hosted by U-High and St. Ignatius. Lucia won both the 1600m and 3200m, and Maxine won the discus competition, setting a new school record of 31.77m. Hayla placed second in the high jump. Julia placed second in the 300m hurdles, and the 4×800 relay team placed second.

Maxine said overall the state race was a positive experience and she is optimistic for next year.

“I think it was really fun. We had seven girls compete, and it’s always nice when we get to take people to competitions,” Maxine said. “We got good potential for next year, and I’m hoping that we qualify for finals next year, but overall the team had a really good time.”