A fall guide to experience art in Hyde Park

This fall, museums near the Laboratory Schools campus will host various artists and their exhibitions. Here is a guide to five museums that might interest you.
Smart Museum, 5550 S. Greenwood Ave.
Smart Museum, 5550 S. Greenwood Ave.

Opening this fall, the Smart Museum, the fine arts museum of the University of Chicago, is featuring five exhibitions, three of which will last until mid-February 2024. The five exhibitions are “Ruth Duckworth: Life as a Unity,” “Smart to the Core: Poetry is Everything,” “Calling on the Past: Selections from the Collection,” “Haegue Yang: Quasi-Legit,” and “Sculpture Garden.” The exhibitions have no distinct theme and are open to the public free of charge. The museum also has multiple events throughout October such as Family Days, which will allow families and children to connect through art and crafts.

Hyde Park Arts Center, 5020 S. Cornell Ave.

Hyde Park Arts Center is hosting five artists and their exhibitions throughout the fall. The exhibitions “A Universe of Self Experience” and “William Estrada: Multiples and Multitudes” are coming to a close later this month as they opened in the summer. The rest of the exhibits “Not Just A Pretty Face 2023,” “Bad at Sports: Bad @ Reality,” and “Kay Rosen: Don’t Look Back” will be featured throughout the rest of fall. These exhibitions focus on women of color artists. The Hyde Park Arts Center website reads, “Our exhibitions help artists through the entire process of making bold work that enrich their careers and spur public discourse on important subjects.” Hyde Park Arts Center is free and open to the public Monday through Sunday with varying hours.

The DuSable Black History Museum and Education Center, 740 East 56th Pl.

The DuSable, now known as the DuSable Black History Museum and Education Center, is featuring seven exhibitions and artists respectively focusing on African American History around the world and more specifically in Illinois and Chicagoland. These exhibitions tell the story of African American individuals such as Harold Washington, the first elected African American Mayor of Chicago, and women of color fighting racism in World War I. These exhibitions hope to serve as an artistic form to educate people on African American history. Tickets are available 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday on the museum’s website.

Renaissance Society, 5811 South Ellis Ave., Cobb Hall, 4th Floor

The Renaissance Society is showcasing one exhibition which is titled “Dala Nasser Adonis River,” where artist Dala Nasser celebrates the Adonis River. The river is located in Lebanon and is known as the Nahr Ibrahim or Abraham River. Her art focuses on the myth where Adonis, the mortal lover of the Greek goddess Aphrodite, was killed by a wild boar. The myths surrounding this river are commemorated in pilgrimages of mourning and grief, and the artwork hopes to celebrate that. Admissions to the Renaissance Society are free to the general public Monday through Sunday.