Tennis coach receives honor for second time

Girls tennis head coach Dawuad Talib has been named the 2023 IHSA 1A Girls Tennis Coach of the Year for exceptional coaching and leadership this season.

Girls tennis head coach Dawuad Talib has been named the 2023 IHSA 1A Girls Tennis Coach of the Year for exceptional coaching and leadership this season. He received the award for the first time in 2020. 

“It feels great to win coach of the year for the school and myself,” Coach Talib said. “It’s the second time I’ve won it, so it’s cool.”

The team won the 1A State Championship. Mr. Talib said that he was very proud of the team for not only the win, but also the commitment and dedication they showed throughout the season.

“I was more happy again with the makeup of the team and the fact that they won state,” he said. “With this team I feel like we developed a tighter bond, so it was cool to win state along with Coach of the Year.”

Mr. Talib explained that he feels their win can partially be attributed to their strong bond. This bond was what made winning the award all the more special for him.

“It’s the fact that it was this particular team,”Mr. Talib said, “that made winning this award mean a lot to me.”