From underdogs to winners: debate duo’s synergy leads to success
Tao, Carter to lead 2024-25 Student Council

Congress should pass Kids Online Safety Act; protect youth

Reporter+Naomi+Benton+argues+that+congress+should+pass+the+Kids+Online+Safety+Act+allowing+children+to+have+a+safer+online+experience.+
Midway Staff
Reporter Naomi Benton argues that congress should pass the Kids Online Safety Act allowing children to have a safer online experience.

Young people around the world lie in their beds scrolling aimlessly on their phones for countless hours, susceptible to the proven effects of social media such as mental health risks, substance promotion and cyberbullying. 

In light of this, Congress should pass the Kids Online Safety Act, which gives parents more control over their children’s social media, allows kids to disable addictive features and protect their information, and puts a “duty of care” on tech companies.

In an article called “The Smartphone Withdrawal Effect,” author and professor Micheal Easter from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, explains that depression and anxiety levels have skyrocketed among youth and that there is not only a correlation but also causation between social media and mental health issues. 

Cyberbullying is also a major issue presented by social media; according to a Cleveland Clinic article, 64% of teenagers reported that they often witness hateful content. 

Another hazard of social media is the promotion and glamorization of drug and alcohol use, and a study of this in the U.S. in 2018 found that kids who use social media are more likely to use these substances. 

Social media has produced real and detrimental effects on the younger generations, who should not be left responsible for filtering their feed. This is why Congress should pass the Kids Online Safety Act and protect today’s youth.