Labapalooza to be hosted April 27 for charity

Nicky Edwards-Levin, Midway Reporter

It might not quite be Lollapalooza, but expectations are high for the second year of U-High’s dance marathon fundraiser, Labapalooza, which will take place this Saturday, April 27 from 4-10 p.m. in Upper Kovler Gym.

Taken from the Labapalooza website
Labapalooza’s logo

The event charges dancers $20 for a pre-registered ticket and $25 at the door. Observers pay $10. It will benefit I Grow Chicago, an organization which “strives to grow Englewood from a surviving community to a thriving community through community connection, skill building, and opportunity.”

Student Council hopes to improve last year’s amount raised of $4,672 to at least $5,000. Student Council members are also retaining successful elements, such as the silent auction. Last year’s auction included items from student-made art to free classes at CorePower yoga to items from teachers, such as honey collected from science teacher Daniel Calleri’s apiary.

Ben said organizers want to increase attendance among high school students, but that shouldn’t detract from anybody else’s experience.

“We are trying to have the marathon ap- peal more to high schoolers, but still have the entire day be fun for everyone,” Ben said. “This includes having a wide variety of activities for people to do.”