Girls tennis team celebrates historic state championship

Elliott Taylor

Team members Izzy Kellermeier and Emilee Pak give an interview to NBC Chicago about the state championship. the interview will broadcast Nov. 1.

Celebrating a historic state victory, the athletics department held a rally this afternoon in honor of the girls tennis team. Complete with music, photos, and free candy, students gathered in Kenwood Mall to congratulate the players. 

After the team victory Oct. 26 at Buffalo Grove High School, the girls tennis team became the first girls team in U-High history to win a state championship. The team won the title with 33 points and several players contributing to the total score according to Athletics Director David Ribbens. 

Elliott Taylor
Senior girls tennis members Macy Beal, Izzy Kellermeier, and Ananya Asthana hold their state trophy high at the victory rally Oct. 28. This was the first state championship a girls team has won in U-High history.

Benet Academy in Lisle placed second, and Latin School of Chicago placed third.

For freshman Krithi Sarav, a singles player, the victory demonstrates Lab’s versatility as a school.  

“Lab’s not just a school for rigor and academics,” Krithi said. “We’re good at sports as well, and I think it’s good to show that balance.”

According to Mr. Ribbens, singles players Emma Baker, a sophomore, scored 12 points and finished second, while Krithi scored 6 points. The doubles team of senior Izzy Kellermeier and sophomore Emilee Pak scored 12 points and finished second while partners Ananya Asthana and Macy Beal, both seniors, scored 3 points.

Izzy credited the team’s victory to their strong bond. 

“Because this was my last year on the team, I wanted to make this year memorable. Especially with this team where we are so close, we all wanted to accomplish something big, it really meant a lot. Everybody worked so hard and I think everybody was happy that it paid off,” Izzy said.

This was the second state trophy for Izzy, who as a sophomore helped secure a fourth place trophy for the girls soccer team in 2018.

In 2018, the U-High boys tennis team tied for the 1A state championship with University High School in Normal.