First-ever fully virtual Student Council election cycle underway

Berk Oto

The Student Council petition, usually on paper, is being completed using Google Forms this year.

Abigail Slimmon, Editor-In-Chief

Student Council elections for the 2020-21 school year have begun, and with school closure, online petitions and Zoom forums, this year’s elections look more different than ever before. 

To be eligible as a candidate, a student must get a certain number of virtual signatures on a petition by April 23, Dean of Students Ana Campos announced on Schoology April 9. Additionally, candidates must respond to a set of four short-answer questions, asking them to explain their motivation for running, ideas and goals. 

Once candidates confirm their candidacy, they may begin campaigning April 27. 

“They will have to figure out more ways to reach out to people. We are hoping that candidates will really focus on trying to spread why they want to serve and why they think they are best for the role,” All-School President Ben Cifu said. “We are creating a lot of systems for them to share that information, from forums to videos and posters. Hopefully this will make this campaigning even more about the ideas than anything else.”

Each candidate will have their own page on the Student Council website where their short-answer responses will be posted. Candidates are also given the opportunity to send Ms. Campos a short video and posters to be posted on their page. 

In lieu of speeches, all candidates will be invited to a Zoom forum with other candidates for the same position,” Ms. Campos said via email. “Student Council Executive Board will ask candidates prepared questions submitted by classmates and written by Student Council that will be shared with Candidates prior to the forum. All candidates will be given equal time to answer a question, depending on the question asked.”

The Zoom forums will take place April 29 and 30. If student’s can’t make the live forums, recordings will be accessible on the Student Council website and Schoology immediately after. 

Voting will occur May 1 with polls open from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Students can vote via the Student Council website and results will be posted between 3:30 p.m. and 4 p.m. 

Ben explained that although not being in school will make the transition of positions more difficult, they’ve created a plan to make it go as smoothly as possible. Once the results are announced, there will be an overlap meeting with the current representatives and the newly elected ones. Additionally, throughout May, Ben will continue to meet with the new all-school president and executive board to ensure they are up to speed.