Thanksgiving break extended to span entire week

Berk Oto

The Laboratory Schools have extended Thanksgiving break two extra days in hopes of further recharging the well-being of students and faculty. The break will span the entire week of Nov. 23-27 rather than just the final three days.

Christian Gluth, Sports Editor

According to Interim Director David Magill, the change was made in response to the strain of distance learning which was observed in their pulse survey.

“As shown with the results of our first pulse survey, the time in front of screens for remote learning and the overall concern for the social and emotional toll that Covid is having, influenced this decision,” he wrote in an email sent to the community Sept. 29.

Dr. Magill also mentioned how the circumstances for Lab faculty and staff have been unusual and draining.

“Additionally, our faculty and staff have been working under unusually difficult conditions throughout the summer and during this first month of school, I believe they will need more than a four day weekend in order to recuperate and recharge,” he said.

Junior Jesse Gell had conflicting feelings about the extended break calling it both a blessing and a curse. He is glad that he will have more time to relax from remote learning but also afraid that stress will increase on school days. 

“On one side I’m happy because it’s more time off of school to play games, decompress and talk to my friends,” Jesse said. “On the other side, teachers are complaining about how they have less time but still are trying to cover the same material, so it leads to very fast-paced, high-intensity courses that are tough to handle.”