The College Board should not have discontinued the subject tests and optional essay

Midway staff

Although with positive intentions, the College Board made a poor choice in discontinuing the subject tests and optional essay, and testing organizations should proceed with caution in evaluating the utility of their exams, writes news editor Peter Pu.

Peter Pu, News Editor

The standardized testing scene changed dramatically when the College Board announced Jan. 19 that the SAT subject tests and optional essay will be discontinued. The pandemic accelerated the process of reducing the demands on students. 

Although with positive intentions, the College Board made a poor choice in discontinuing the subject tests and optional essay, and testing organizations should proceed with caution in evaluating the utility of their exams. 

Although the tests and essay may not be perfect predictors of success in college, students used them to demonstrate their proficiency in writing and various subjects in a standardized fashion. Most colleges had already made submitting the essay and subject test scores optional. Discontinuing these exams deprives students of a familiar system of demonstrating their academic abilities. 

The Advanced Placement system and main SAT exam still leave students ways to test the knowledge and skills they learn throughout high school, but the College Board and other organizations should recognize the value that standardized testing still holds.