Teachers must remember to engage students choosing to remain online

Midway staff

In the rush to return students to the classroom, those who have opted to remain online must not be forgotten, and their education must remain a priority, writes reporter Sahana Unni.

Sahana Unni, Reporter

For almost a year, U-High students have been learning from inside their homes, their teachers contained to a small box on their screen, guiding them through the curriculum. Now, many students are finally able to return to school in person as a result of hybrid learning. 

In the rush to return students to the classroom, those who have opted to remain online must not be forgotten, and their education must remain a priority. 

Many students have chosen to stay online because they fear they are putting their loved ones at risk. This choice should not put them at a disadvantage compared to those who chose to return to school in-person. A study done by the Brookings Institute found that in-person learning improves a student’s GPA, as well as their GPA in the future. 

As students transition to hybrid learning, it is critical that Lab continues to focus on educating students who remain online, and find ways to include them in the classroom during activities and discussions.