Student involvement integrated into Homecoming week

Matt Petres

This year, Homecoming week is aimed to encourage student engagement and participation by letting students vote on spirit day themes and activities at the homecoming dance on Sept. 24.

Taariq Ahmed, Reporter

As the end of September rolls around, Homecoming week, capped off by the homecoming dance, is taking center stage at U-High. During spirit week, students are encouraged to wear specific clothing based on the theme of the day, which was announced in advance by Student Council. Spirit week themes are:

Monday, Sept. 19: Pajama Day
Tuesday, Sept. 20: VSCO Day
Wednesday, Sept. 21: Finance Bro Day
Thursday, Sept. 22: Grade Color Day
9th Grade: Yellow
10th Grade: Green
11th Grade: Blue
12th Grade: Red
Faculty/Staff: Purple
Friday, Sept. 23: Maroon Day (students wear maroon clothing)

Although familiar themes, such as Pajama Day and Maroon Day, are making a return, Finance Bro Day and VSCO Day are new additions after being chosen by students through a digital poll from Student Council. The same poll also provided students with the opportunity to choose the activities for the homecoming dance on Sept. 24. According to Cultural Union President Akshay Badlani, these moves are part of a larger initiative.

“We felt like if people had the option to choose which spirit day they want to participate in, participation in spirit week would increase,” Akshay said. “That’s basically Student Council’s main goal this year: to increase student voice in decision-making.”

After their pre-school leadership retreat, Student Council met several times to discuss and decide on the theme for the homecoming dance. During the first assembly of the year on Sept. 8, Student Council announced the theme will be based on the musical fantasy movie, “Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.”

“Originally, people on Student Council were hesitant because it’s a very unusual theme,” Akshay said, “but then one of the members of Student Council sold the idea really well.”

Homecoming will take place in the Sherry Lansing Theater from 7:30-10:30 p.m. Sept. 24. Unlike last year, the event is mask-optional and U-High students will not need to take a COVID-19 test to attend. Tickets will be available to purchase for $10 Sept. 19-23 during lunch or after school, or $15 at the door. Students interested in bringing a guest must submit an application to Dean of Students Ana Campos by Sept. 22.

Additionally, many sports events are taking place during spirit week and on the day of the homecoming dance. A full list of events can be found on the athletics calendar of the Laboratory Schools website.