Lab gets two new administrative roles in DEI and student services

Two+administrative+roles%2C+assistant+director+of+diversity%2C+equity+and+inclusion%2C+and+assistant+director+of+student+services+will+be+added+to+Labs+roster+of+staff+starting+in+the+2023-2024+year.+

Kenneth Peters

Two administrative roles, assistant director of diversity, equity and inclusion, and assistant director of student services will be added to Lab’s roster of staff starting in the 2023-2024 year.

Ainsley Williams, Reporter

The Laboratory Schools is adding two new administrative roles for next school year: assistant director of diversity, equity and inclusion, and assistant director of student services. 

The assistant director of DEI will work closely with student-centered work and programming throughout all grades.

“We have a priority of focusing on student-facing work like the DEI Peer Facilitators and building on that programming,” DEI Director Nicole Williams said. “We need someone who will support this student-facing work and who comes with the skills to lift up the ideas of young people.” 

Ms. Williams also said that the assistant director of DEI will also serve as an administrative partner alongside her and other faculty members. 

“We need this person to be a thought partner with myself to really build out and support the work in this school and beyond,” she said. 

The assistant director of student services will work as an in-house resource for the learning and counseling department, teachers and students to further support varied student needs around the school, Director of Student Services Nicole Neal said. “This will also ensure that the accommodations are implemented to shift the culture around neurodiversity and supporting all students.”