Midway will be taking a break over the summer
After reminiscing with fond memories, Class of 2024 graduates in Rockefeller Chapel

Backyard fitness fun

Enjoy these summer activities that don’t require much equipment
    Delaney Connell
    Badminton is a backyard sport that doesn’t require much equipment, being a viable option to many people.

Staying physically active during summer can be daunting, requiring planning, exertion and even equipment and facilities. Multiple activity options are available to do without much equipment and for people seeking any level of physical exertion.

Level 1: Plogging

Plogging, a recent invention developed in Sweden, involves jogging while picking up trash in organized and solo events. Millions of people worldwide have taken to plogging. It helps the environment while serving as a form of cardio.

The internet holds multiple resources, such as plogging.org and various online tutorials. Plogging also requires minimal equipment — only running shoes and some method to pick up trash — and can be done essentially anywhere.

Level 2: Roller Skating and Inline Skating

Roller skating is an easy way to engage outdoors because it can be done on most flat hard surfaces. Roller skates and inline skates are available for purchase at stores like Target or Dick’s Sporting Goods, as well as online. YouTube hosts multiple tutorials available for learning tricks, starting out and improving skating skills.

Roller skating has many health benefits. According to Nike, it can be good for your heart, strengthen your muscles, improve your mood and build lower body strength. 

Level 3: Badminton

For racket sports players, badminton is an option for a backyard sport. It’s a competitive sport, and casual players can take it to the next level and compete. Badminton nets and rackets can be found online at sites such as Amazon and Home Depot or the sporting goods section of most stores.

Sophomore Ling Xie has played badminton for three years and suggests it as a fun new  sport. Playing outside has some benefits, Ling said, but playing outside can also be difficult due to the wind and how it moves the birdie.