Midway will be taking a break over the summer
After reminiscing with fond memories, Class of 2024 graduates in Rockefeller Chapel

Vox Pop: Paris Olympics

The Olympics are happening in Paris this year. What are you looking forward to this year? What have you watched in the past?

“I’m not super involved in sports, but I still watch the Olympics, despite the fact I don’t get the rule of ‘Who’s winning so far.’ It is a great opportunity to watch people from around the world and celebrate their successes as a community. It’s really heart-warming to see.”

— Jimmy Yu, ninth grader

“I love to watch women’s swimming because I know how it works and I’m so blown away by the times. But I also watch gymnastics. Even though I know nothing about it, it’s still really cool to watch.”

— Hayla Shah, sophomore

“I’m looking forward to the integration of new sports in the Olympics. I think I remember reading somewhere that skateboarding and surfing will be added, so that should be super fun to watch and see how it will work in a competitive environment.” 

— Courtney McDonald, junior

“I looked at the sports: tennis, mountain biking and definitely equestrian all look really interesting.”

— Maven Alavi, sophomore

“I’m always interested in soccer and track for the Summer Olympics because of the drama involved, and they’re really fun to watch. I also watch hockey in the winter.”

— Pete Miller, P.E. teacher

“I am absolutely ecstatic to see the [women’s national soccer team] compete in the Olympics this summer. They have faced some adversity in their recent challenges — specifically the World Cup —  but I’m excited to see the chemistry of the team all together again. I’m especially excited to see Lynn Williams. She’s an icon.” 

— Stella Sturgill, senior

“I’m looking forward to fencing and running because I do those sports and am familiar with the competitors. I also love just turning the TV on to see what’s live and explore new sports.” 

— Ben O’Donnell , junior