Students benefit from sugar-free, plant-based diets

Amber Huo

ON THE ROAD TO HEALTH. In stepping away from the processed, sugar and fat-filled foods that are ubiquitous in modern life, some students are taking their health into their own hands. Eliminat- ing added sugars and limiting animal meat and products in their diets is one step that students are taking towards living healthier lives. These dietary switches are believed to limit the risk of diabetes.

Audrey Matzke, Reporter

Packed full of hungry students, it is difficult to miss the overwhelming prevalence of cookies, chicken nuggets and sandwiches atop Café Lab tables. For many, the joys of fatty, greasy, cheesy cafeteria food helps to escape the stress of Lab’s academic rigor. For others, pizza is an excuse in and of itself. Some students, however, have decided to forgo the temptations of traditional comfort foods.

As difficult as these restrictions on meat, dairy or sugar may seem, students see it as a small price to pay in order to improve their health. Lately, several have decided to adopt plant-based or sugar-free diets.

After watching a documentary on fighting disease through diet entitled  “What The Health,” sophomore Sara Gregg began re-evaluate her concept of food. She now believes society’s idea of what a good diet looks like has been largely manipulated by corporations looking to profit under the guise of providing healthy food.

Since adopting a plant-based diet mid-April, Sara has not eaten meat, dairy or most breads. She believes her new eating habits have been beneficial to her health.

“I feel more full, which is weird because I’m eating a little bit less,” Sara said, describing how, somewhat counterintuitively, her diet is more satisfying than before.

If proper protein consumption is maintained, research shows that a plant-based diet can have many health benefits. According to the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, followers of a plant-based diet have a 34 percent lower risk of developing diabetes. Naturally, people on plant-based diets tend to consume more vegetables, which provide nutrients such as fiber, vitamins and folic acid.

Alternatively, some students allow themselves bread and meat but follow a sugar-free diet. After returning from winter break, sophomore Macy Beal decided to eliminate added sugar from her meals, only allowing herself a cheat day once every two weeks. Macy described enjoying sweets less since starting the diet.

“When I do have sugar, it doesn’t taste that good. I’ve lost most of my interest in it,” Macy said.

It is not difficult to make the case for a sugar-free lifestyle. Business Insider lists sugar as one of the top carcinogens, or cancer-causing substances, found in everyday food items. Macy warns against going cold-turkey and emphasizes that anyone considering a diet change should speak with their doctor before making any major changes.

As effective as these diets may be, following them is not always easy. Sara, for one, misses ice cream.

She said, “I bought some that’s dairy-free, and it’s good, but it’s not the same.”